“John F. Kennedy” by Jacques Lipchitz
Jacques Lipchitz (August 22, 1891 – May 16, 1973) was a Cubist sculptor who lived in various artistic communities in Paris. In the 1920s, he experimented with abstract forms he called transparent sculptures, later developing a more dynamic style with bronze compositions. During WWII, he escaped the Nazi regime with the assistance of American journalist, Varian Fry, and went to the United States. In 1965, Lipchitz won a competition to create the JFK bust, and was awarded the commission for the memorial by the committee of Essex County.
“Philip Kearny” by Henry Kirke Brown
Henry Kirke Brown (February 24, 1814 – July 10, 1886) began to paint portraits when he was a boy, studying painting in Boston under Chester Harding. Brown's equestrian statues are excellent, and he is known for being one of the first in America to cast his own bronzes. His notable works include: George Washington (1856) in Union Square, New York City; Andrew Jackson in Washington, D.C.; Brevet Lt. General Winfield Scott (1874) in Washington, D.C.; Abraham Lincoln in Union Square, New York City; Philip Kearny; Nathanael Greene; George Clinton; Richard Stockton (all in the National Statuary Hall, United States Capitol, Washington, D.C.); and De Witt Clinton and The Angel of the Resurrection in Green-Wood Cemetery, Brooklyn, New York. The statue was cast in 1873 and unveiled before General Ulysses Grant, General William T. Sherman and Governor George B. McClellan in 1880.
“Wars of America” by Gutzon Borglum
John Gutzon de la Mothe Borglum (March 25, 1867 – March 6, 1941) was a prominent American sculptor of public monuments. Borglum is famous for creating the monumental presidents' heads at Mount Rushmore, South Dakota as well as numerous sculptures of Abraham Lincoln, including Seated Lincoln outside Essex County Courthouse, also in Newark. Wars of America is a colossal bronze sculpture containing forty-two humans and two horses. It was erected in 1926, eight years after World War I ended, but its intent was broadened to honor all of America's war dead, including those of the Confederate cause in the Civil War. The sculpture sits on a base of granite taken from Stone Mountain, Georgia, where Borglum had been involved in a monument to the Confederacy that was largely funded by the Ku Klux Klan, an organization of which Borglum was briefly a member. The work he created transcends the artist’s toxic personal beliefs and stands as a powerful reminder of the continuing toll of war in our own time. This monument was added to the National Register of Historic Places on October 28, 1994.
“Frederick Frelinghuysen” by Karl Gerhardt
Karl Gerhardt (January 7, 1853 - May 7, 1940) attended Phillips School in Boston. He worked for a time as chief machinist at the Pratt and Whitney Machine Tool Company in Hartford, and pursued sculpting in his leisure hours. He was so successful at sculpting, that in 1881 Mark Twain financed a trip to study in Paris at the École des Beaux-Arts. The statue was unveiled in 1894 before a crowd of 1,000 people as a gift from the City. It is colossal in size, standing nine feet high, and represents the subject addressing an audience.