The Chambers Family Carousel is OPEN!
The Carousel hours are Monday - Sunday from 11:00 AM - 7:00 PM.
Tickets cost $2 per person.
The Carousel in Military Park is based on Newark's historically significant horses. Carousel horses include:
- Blueskin Horse - George Washington's horse
- Black Knight's Cavalry Horse - 5th Regiment Civil War Black Knight's Cavalry Horse
- Bayard and Moscow - General Phillip Kearny's horses from the Spanish-American War
- Plow Horse - helped plow the fields of Newark
- Race Horse - Weequahic Park Race Horse
- Stagecoach Horse - Newark stagecoach horses transported people to and from the city
- Newark Streetcar Horse - Newark streetcar horses transported Newarkers around the city
- Fire Horse - Newark Fire House Engine Company No. 18
- Hospital Horse - Newark City Hospital ambulance horse
- Police Horse - Newark's police horse
- Tow Horse - Tow Horse on the Morris Canal
- Garbage and Recycling Pickup Horse - Horses helped recycle and transport garbage
- Mail Horse - Newark's mail delivery horse
- Milk Horse - Newark Borden's milk delivery horse
- Goodwill Horse - Goodwill Rescue Mission cart for picking up wood and clothes
- Lausanne Horse - General Rosalie Jones and Elizabeth Freeman's horse from their hike from Newark to Washington
Rules of the carousel:
• Riders must be at least 2 years old to ride a horse. Riders younger than 2 may ride the chariot with an adult.
• All riders must be at least 42 inches tall or
accompanied by an adult.
• Adults riding with children must stand in the interior aisle and hold the child.
• Adults may only supervise one child per ride.
• All riders must have a ticket. Adults
accompanying children under 42 inches ride for free.
• Only 1 rider per horse.
• Riders must hold onto the pole with both hands and must keep belts fastened through the entire ride.
• Riders may not ride backwards, side saddle, or while standing on an animal.
• Riders must remain seated until the carousel comes to a full stop and may not change seats during the ride.
• All riders must be wearing proper footwear.
• Riders are not permitted to bring food or drinks on the carousel.
• Every rider must exit the carousel after each ride.
• Rider’s weight must not exceed 225 lbs to ride on a horse.
• Riders must follow all directions given by staff.